Saturday 15th June 12:00noon - 4:00pm
The celebrations at Appleford will be based at the recreation field, with a fantastic family fête.
There is limited parking available on the field, so why not leave the car at home and use the train or special bus service instead. The station is only a 4 minute walk away and the special 175 bus service will stop close to the entrance to the recreation ground.
There is no admission charge for this event.
Events especially for children:
- Ride on the children's Merry-go-Round and Bouncy Castle, dare the Cliff Jump or the 24ft Helter Skelter
- Face painting, craft making and 'Brunel' stove pipe hat making competition with best hat prizes
- Children's painting class run by Appleford Arts
- Weaving workshop with hand looms from Sylva Foundation
- Explore the local countryside with the Earth Trust at Wittenham Clumps
Events for everyone:
- Enjoy local beers, barbeque, sausage sizzle, Indian snacks, pizzas, teas, coffees, home-made cakes, ice creams, chocolate and popcorn, and much more
- Admire the engineering of preserved steam traction engines, and the marvel of scale steam models
- Learn about the model railway building skills of the model layouts from Pendon Museum
- Enter your dog into the fun dog show - 10 judged classes
- Watch the dog obedience display from the Abingdon Dog Training Club
- Listen to the Abbey Brass band
- Enjoy folk music and watch the Wolvercote Morris dancers
- Try your skill on the archery range
- Learn to build an Anglo-Saxon house. The Sylva Foundation from Long Wittenham will explain their timber framing courses and woodland conservation work
- Admire classc MG cars, vintage and modern tractors, Oxfordshire Fire and Police service vehicles
- Enjoy village stalls, tombola, bottle and raffles
- Shop amongst the stalls for vinyl records, pottery, dog accessories, toys, craft furnishings, books, plants, cakes, confectionary, paper arts, stationery and more
~~ Watch not one, but two steam trains pass by on their way from Oxford towards Didcot ~~
Newly returned to mainline service, GWR number 7029 Clun Castle will pass by at about 12:30pm
The iconic locomotive 60103 Flying Scotsman (4472 in LNER days) is due to pass at about 6:20pm
Contact us for more information, or to find out how you can get involved
Find out more about Appleford here
How to FIND US
Members of the public are reminded that the line through Appleford Station itself is very busy with fast trains passing throughout the day, so sensible care must be taken at all times to ensure one's own safety and that of others. Caution should be exercised by anyone visiting the station as it is only accessible from the road overbridge and there is no footpath.
Appleford Station is not suitable for wheelchair users as access onto each of the station platforms is by means of a steep flight of steps leading down from the main road.